My lord, Square Enix knows how to bookend a show.
Kicking off with an in-depth look at Final Fantasy XII Remake was a given.
Making sure it was a gameplay and combat deep-dive was a masterstroke.
A blow-for-blow remake of the 22-year-old classic would have been too easy, so the combat has had a complete overhaul. Real-time action blended with strategy is the modern shake-up that game needed, having just gone back to play the original released on Nintendo Switch.
Final Fantasy XII Remake launches worldwide on March 3, 2020 and it will come in two parts: one set inside the city of Midgard, the other outside it.
Only problem is, the game looked so good most of what was shown after was a little average.
Life is Strange 2 delivered an emotional punch by integrating streamers into its reveal trailer and I’m already counting down until May 2020 for that new Avengers game, but beyond that, Square’s press conference.
Here’s what else we got:
- An Outriders CG Trailer
- A Final Fantasy XIV expansion – July 2, 2019
- A new trailer for Dragon Quest Builders 2 – July 12, 2019
- Kingdom Hearts 3 DLC – ‘Summer’
- Oninaki trailer – Aug 22, 2019
- Final Fantasy Chrystal Chronicles Remastered – ‘Summer’
- The Last Remnant: Remastered – Shadow drop for Switch
- Final Fantasy Brave Exvius
That’s a lot of Final Fantasy and a LOT of remakes/remasters/re-releases.
No news on Tomb Raider.